Turquoise has fascinated people for centuries due to its green color and its cultural, historical, and spiritual significance. Adding turquoise jewelry to your collection is a timeless choice because it is versatile, long-lasting, and stunning. Moreover, it can effortlessly complement any outfit or occasion while bringing luck, protection, and healing. In this article, we’ll delve into the history and symbolism behind turquoise as well as offer insights into the different styles of turquoise jewelry. We’ll also provide tips on how to style and take care of your turquoise pieces. Additionally, you’ll find some suggestions on where to purchase high-quality turquoise jewelry online.
Table of Contents
The Origins and Meanings of Turquoise
Turquoise holds a legacy as it stands as one of the most ancient gemstones known to humanity. People have been utilizing it for purposes especially in the realm of jewelry since time immemorial. The term “turquoise” is derived from the French word for Turkish, as the stone was originally obtained through trade routes from Turkey to Europe.
Turquoise is found in many parts of the world including Iran, Afghanistan, China, Mexico, and the United States. The color and quality of turquoise vary depending on the mineral composition, climate, and location of the source. Generally, turquoise with a deeper blue color and less matrix (the brown or black veins that run through the stone) is considered more valuable. Turquoise holds various meanings and associations in diverse cultures and traditions. Some of the prevalent interpretations include:
- Luck and protection: Turquoise is believed to ward off evil spirits, negative energy, and accidents. Some civilizations believe it to be a symbol of good fortune and success.
- Healing and balance: Turquoise is said to have healing properties for both the physical and the emotional body. There is a widely held belief that it can assist in relieving conditions such as headaches, infections, inflammation, and stress. It is also said to have the ability to harmonize and bring peace by balancing the chakras, which are considered to be the energy centers of the body.
- Wisdom and communication: Turquoise is often connected with the throat chakra, which influences our ability to communicate our thoughts and emotions. It has the potential to improve our capacity to express ourselves honestly, actively listen to others, and empathize with their perspectives. Additionally, it can ignite our spark and tap into our intuitive faculties.
The Different Types of Turquoise Jewelry
There is a variety of turquoise jewelry including earrings, necklaces, bracelets, and rings. You can find turquoise jewelry that suits your style, whether you prefer simple or elaborate designs, modern or vintage vibes, or casual or formal occasions. Some of the most popular types of turquoise jewelry are:
- Turquoise beads: These are small pieces of turquoise that are drilled and strung together to form a necklace, bracelet, or anklet. Turquoise beads have a variety of textures including rough surfaces. Can come in different shapes such as round or oval. Their sizes and colors can also vary, giving them a vibrant appearance. Additionally, they can be combined with gemstones or metals to create combinations that catch the eye.
- Turquoise cabochons: These are polished and rounded pieces of turquoise that are set in a metal base, such as silver, gold, or copper. You can utilize cabochons to create a variety of jewelry pieces such, as earrings, pendants, brooches, or rings. They can be plain or embellished with other stones or patterns. They can also be sculpted into forms, like hearts, blossoms or creatures.
- Turquoise inlays: These are thin turquoise slices fitted into a metal or wood surface, creating a mosaic-like pattern. Turquoise inlays can be found in earrings, bracelets, bangles, or cufflinks. Combining turquoise with materials, like coral, shell or opal can result in a captivating combination of contrasting elements that harmonize beautifully.
Turquoise jewelry offers versatility and adds a touch of beauty to your outfit while allowing you to showcase your style. You can experiment and mix types of turquoise jewelry to curate an individualized look that truly reflects who you are.
Turquoise Jewelry in Vogue
Turquoise jewelry has stood the test of time as an accessory while also becoming a fashion choice. Numerous famous individuals and influencers have been seen adorning themselves with this kind of jewelry at red-carpet events, award shows, and social media posts.
By wearing it, you can effortlessly add a touch of sophistication, allure, and personal style to any attire – be it casual or formal, simple or extravagant contemporary or vintage. It serves as a means of expressing your individuality and creativity since you can mix and match pieces, colors and styles to curate a distinctive look that is uniquely yours.
How to Style and Care for Your Turquoise Jewelry
Adding turquoise jewelry to your outfit is a way to incorporate colors and stylish accents. You can wear it with any clothing style, from casual to formal, and any season, from spring to winter. Here are some tips on how to style and care for your turquoise jewelry:
Match the Color
Turquoise jewelry can go well with almost any color, but some of the best matches are white, black, brown, beige, and navy. In addition, you can try and experiment with contrasting colors, such as red, orange, or yellow, to create a bold and fun look.
Mix the Metals
Turquoise jewelry can look stunning with different metals, such as silver, gold, or copper. You have the option to combine metals resulting in a diverse appearance. For instance, you can pair a necklace made of silver and turquoise with a bracelet made of gold and turquoise or wear a ring crafted from copper and turquoise, alongside earrings made of silver and turquoise.
Choose the Occasion
Turquoise jewelry has a universal appeal and it can suit any occasion, from casual to formal, depending on the design and size of the piece. For a casual look, you can opt for simple and small turquoise jewelry, such as studs, pendants, or beads. For a formal look, you can choose more elaborate and large turquoise jewelry, such as hoops, chandeliers, or cabochons.
Clean and Store
Turquoise jewelry can last for a long time if you take good care of it. To properly care for your turquoise jewelry, use a soft cloth and mild soap to clean it, and make sure to dry it completely before storing it. Additionally, it is important to avoid exposing your jewelry to heat, sunlight, chemicals, or water to prevent damage to the stone’s color and quality. You should store your turquoise jewelry in a separate box or pouch, away from other jewelry, to prevent scratches and tarnishing. Adding turquoise jewelry to your collection is a choice that never goes out of style. Its timeless beauty not only enhances your look but also has the power to uplift your mood and bring numerous benefits and blessings into your life.
Turquoise jewelry is a timeless addition to any collection due to its versatility, durability, and stunning beauty. Its cultural, historical, and spiritual significance, as well as its ability to effortlessly complement any outfit or occasion, make it a truly special and meaningful choice. Whether you’re looking for luck, protection, healing, or simply a touch of elegance, turquoise jewelry is sure to bring joy and beauty to your life.