Betsy Ball Murder

Unearthing The Dark Truth- The Betsy Ball Murder Mystery

In the picturesque backdrop of Morgan Township, deep within the serene heart of Gallia County, Ohio, a sinister and heart-wrenching saga was etched into the annals of history. The chilling and enigmatic Betsy Ball murder in 2012 still echoes through the silent streets and peaceful hearts of this community.

This blog embarks on an extensive journey, delving deep into the perplexing details of the Betsy Ball murder case. We will navigate the timeline of events, the intricacies of the investigation, the arrest and conviction of the perpetrator, and the indelible impact left on the tight-knit community.

The Disappearance

On that ill-fated day, February 29, 2012, the tranquility of Morgan Township was shattered by the inexplicable disappearance of 67-year-old Betsy Ball. She was no ordinary resident; Betsy was a revered mother, a cherished grandmother, and an irreplaceable cornerstone of the community. The day commenced as any other for her husband, David Ball, who toiled relentlessly at the Kyger Creek Power Plant.

Little did he know that, upon returning home from a grueling double shift, his world would be torn asunder. Their home and garage bore the eerie signs of intrusion. Objects had been rearranged within their vehicle, an unfamiliar piece of fabric was discovered in an inexplicable location, a solitary shoe lay abandoned beneath the car, and disturbing scratches etched the car’s hood.

Yet, the most harrowing revelation was the presence of Betsy’s glasses and cell phone, found resting on the passenger seat floorboard. Overwhelmed by fear and anxiety, David embarked on a frantic search of their sprawling property, which included a thriving beef cattle farm. His desperate efforts, however, yielded no trace of his beloved wife, compelling him to file a missing person’s report with the Gallia County Sheriff’s Office.

The Discovery

In less than 24 hours, on March 1, 2012, the lifeless body of Betsy Ball was unearthed in a secluded field not far from her home. The eerie arrangement of her body sent shivers down the spines of those who made the grim discovery, kindling fears of possible sexual assault. Betsy bore the visible marks of a fierce struggle, her face and arms bearing the painful imprints of bruises and scratches.

Most hauntingly, ligature marks on her wrists and neck were so severe that her right wrist had nearly been severed. The autopsy report painted a gruesome picture—she had been strangled to death and then subjected to the unspeakable brutality of being run over by a vehicle. Tire marks were grotesquely imprinted onto her face and upper body. The chilling revelation that her body had been doused with gasoline added an even darker layer to an already macabre crime.

The Investigation

With unwavering resolve, the Gallia County Sheriff’s Office initiated an exhaustive investigation to bring Betsy Ball’s killer to justice. The crime scene was scrutinized meticulously, revealing crucial pieces of evidence. Notably, tire tracks led from the gravel road to the location where her lifeless body was discovered.

These tracks played a pivotal role in identifying the type of vehicle involved in the crime, characterized by two all-terrain tires in the front and two murder tires in the rear. Moreover, a partially stained hand towel, bearing traces of bodily fluids, was found in close proximity to the victim’s body.

The Arrest And Conviction

Armed with the painstakingly collected evidence, investigators embarked on the arduous task of unmasking the perpetrator of this heinous crime. Tire tracks, DNA evidence, and fingerprints retrieved from the garage all pointed to one individual: Lee Hawkins, a man acquainted with the Ball family.

Lee Hawkins was subsequently apprehended, and a meticulously constructed case ultimately led to his conviction for the brutal rape, murder, and assault of Betsy Ball. While justice was served, the community still carried the scars of this heinous crime, and the journey towards healing had just begun.

The Impact On The Community

The vanishing and brutal Betsy Ball murder in 2012 left an indelible mark on the Morgan Township community. The pain and anguish reverberated through the hearts of all who knew her and the community she was an integral part of. Yet, it was through the unwavering dedication of law enforcement officers and the critical evidence left behind by the perpetrator that justice was eventually served.

Betsy Ball’s memory lives on, not simply as a victim, but as a symbol of the relentless pursuit of justice by those who cherished her and the community she held dear. Her story serves as a somber reminder that even in the darkest moments, the relentless pursuit of justice can bring a measure of closure and healing to those who seek it.

In the aftermath of Betsy Ball murder, the community rallied together, determined to support one another and ensure that such a tragedy would never befall them again. Neighbors checked in on each other more frequently, security measures were heightened, and a renewed sense of vigilance took root in the hearts of the people of Morgan Township.


The story of Betsy Ball’s tragic disappearance and brutal murder serves as a chilling reminder of the darkness that can descend upon even the most peaceful communities. However, it is also a testament to the power of relentless pursuit of justice and the resilience of a community determined to find closure and healing. Betsy’s memory lives on as a symbol of hope, reminding us that even in the face of the most heinous crimes, justice can prevail, and communities can emerge stronger and more united.

The Betsy Ball murder case is a chapter in the history of Morgan Township that will never be forgotten, a stark reminder that the bonds of community are unbreakable, even in the face of unspeakable tragedy. As time passes, the community continues to heal and rebuild, forever honoring the memory of Betsy Ball, an enduring symbol of the unyielding spirit of small-town America.