Chelsea Handler Jo Koy is now opening up about her breakup with Jo Koy. She went on record to say recently that the two are now on good terms, but the question that remains is what happened between them? Here’s a brief timeline of their relationship.
Who is Chelsea Handler?
Chelsea Handler was born in the United States and has since gone on to become a successful comedian, actor, writer, television host, and producer. From 2007 until 2014, she was the host of the late-night chat program “Chelsea Lately “on the E! network. In January 2016, Chelsea Handler debuted a Netflix documentary series titled Chelsea Does. She rose to fame as the host of Elate-night !’s talk show Chelsea Lately. The best-selling novel “Are You There, Vodka?” is her work. Her 2008, “It’s Me, Chelsea,” was adapted into an NBC sitcom of the same name. She formerly served as a waitress.
Handler chose to become a comedian after getting a positive response when telling a story about getting a DUI to a gathering of fellow offenders. She then became a regular cast member on “Girls Behaving Badly” on the Oxygen Network. Chelsea Handler Jo Koy was recognized as one of Time magazine’s 100 Most Influential People in 2012. Her first film performance was as Nikita in the comedy film “Cattle Call,” released in 2006, and her first television appearance was on the NBC hidden camera reality series “Spy TV,” in which she played many roles. In 2005, Bloomsbury USA released “My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One Night Stands,” Handler’s first book. In May 2020, Chelsea Handler announced that she would be starring in and producing a stand-up special for Warner Media’s HBO Max. Soon, she
Chelsea’s Rise To Fame
Chelsea Handler Jo Koy got her start in the entertainment industry as a member of the all-female cast of “Girls Behaving Badly,” a hidden-camera reality television series that aired on Oxygen from 2002 to 2005. Chelsea Handler then became a correspondent for “The Tonight Show” and a regular contributor on E! and “Scarborough Country.” Aside from hosting “The Chelsea Handler Show” on E! since April 2006, she has also hosted the premiere episode of the reality TV show “On the Lot,” before quitting before the second episode aired. On August 18 of the same year (2010), MTV announced her as the show’s host for the Video Music Awards. (VMAs). In March 2009, Handler was presented with the “Ally for Equality Award” from the Human Rights Campaign. In April of 2009, Bravo bestowed Handler the title of “A-List Funny” from their A-List honor roll. In June of 2009, “for her visible and outspoken promotion of equality,” she was chosen as Grand Marshal of the Los Angeles Pride Festival. In July 2012, Handler took home the Comedy Person of the Year trophy at the Just For Laughs festival in Montreal.
Chelsea Handler Jo Koy Relationship Timeline
The friendship between Chelsea Handler and Jo Koy began in the early 2000s after being introduced by common friend Jon Lovitz. Eventually, their friendship developed into romance. The two comedians got back in touch at year’s end and started dating again in 2021’s August. They went public with their romance in September and had many tender moments together before breaking up over a year later. Following their separation, the two remain cordial; in fact, Handler thanked Koy for “renewing her trust in men” in her Instagram post announcing their separation in July 2022.
- After Lovitz introduced the two comedians to each other in 2007, they often appeared on Chelsea Lately together from 2007 till 2014. Koy was a regular fixture on the show’s round table, making appearances in over a hundred episodes throughout all seven seasons.
- In an episode of her podcast released in October 2021, Handler said that she “suppressed” her love for Koy when he appeared on “Chelsea Lately”, her talk program that aired on E! from 2007 to 2014.
- Koy revealed that Handler made the first move toward a romantic relationship with her in August 2021, after they had been friends for a year.
- An August 2021 photo of the pair at a Los Angeles Dodgers game was taken before they went public with their relationship. Koy threw out the first pitch at Dodgers Stadium’s Filipino Heritage Night, and he posted a video of the event on Instagram, in which Handler appeared to instruct him from the sidelines.
- Handler shared a selfie of herself on Instagram while visiting Mallorca, Spain, and gushed about her secret love affair in the caption. In the post, Handler and Koy were said to be seen holding hands, which led to speculation that the two had started dating.
- After making their relationship public, Handler invited Koy to appear on the podcast Dear Chelsea, where the two of them detailed the years-long development of their love. Even though they both agree that there was “great” chemistry between them at the beginning of their friendship, they each remember acknowledging the attraction in their own unique way.
- Things started to heat up between Chelsea Handler and Jo Koy when Jo Koy asked her to write a Blurb for his book Mixed Plate.
- They didn’t get to see one another for four months because of their hectic work schedules and strict quarantine regulations. As soon as they arrived back in Los Angeles, they made plans to go out to eat. When that happened, things began to develop “organically,” as Handler puts it.
- After the epidemic had begun, Koy traveled to Las Vegas for her first major show, and Handler saw that something had changed between them and that’s when things started to go south.
- Handler and Koy dated for over a year before the latter delivered the news to her followers on Instagram that they had split up. To celebrate their first year together, the comedian shared a touching video they shot in advance. The pair shared the wisdom they had gained through their relationship. With tears in her eyes, Handler thanked their followers for always being there for them and pleaded with them to “continue to cheer for both of us” in the post.
Chelsea Handler and Jo Koy are currently separated but are on cordial terms. While on the red carpet for his new movie on Easter Sunday, Koy opened out about his friendship with Handler. He even said that being friends with Handler once again was “great”.